Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Skillet Lasagna [Veganized]



So far, I've had so much fun trying out vegan recipes. I have started to feel much more comfortable coming up with my own stuff! I have veganized a few recipes that I had bookmarked on here. This is the first of them.


Ashley's post on Skillet Lasagna sounded awesome as soon as I saw it. I always have leftover lasagna noodles for some reason after I make lasagna - I feel like I might be doing it wrong because I would think these boxes would be compatible with most lasagna recipes. No? Maybe in a perfect world right?


I wanted to use fresh basil in this recipe but unfortunately I seem to have executed my --sorry excuse for an-- herb garden. Fresh basil would have been so much better than dried here. Next time for sure!


Skillet Lasagna
Adapted from Ashley, taken from Cooks Illustrated

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lb vegetarian ground beef
8 ounces curly-edged whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup Daiya mozzarella shreds
8 ounces tofu ricotta
1/4 cup minced fresh basil [I used a few sprinkles of dried basil]

Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, red pepper flakes and garlic, and cook until softened.

Layer the vegetarian ground beef, broken noodle pieces, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce in that order. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.

Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup Daiya shreds. Dot heaping tablespoons of the tofu ricotta over the noodles. Cover the skillet and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes.

Sprinkle with the basil and serve with a huge green salad.

So, so, so good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails