Thursday, July 1, 2010

Appley Earthy Oatmeal Bars

I was flipping through my copy of The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes looking for something to make that I had all the ingredients for already. I found "Oatmeal Earth Bars" and figured that I could easily swap out a couple of the add-ins for things I already had, and I came up with this glorious, amazing, delicioussssss breakfasty dessert. I changed it quite a bit, so I'll probably have to make the recipe as written and see how similar they are!



Appley Earthy Oatmeal Bars (makes 9)

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
dash cloves
3/4 cup sugar
3 T egg replacer + 9 T water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
(almost) 1 cup cooked old-fashioned oats [I aimed for a cup (cooked) and came up short - didn't seem to affect it though!]
1/2 cup chopped dried apple [I used Trader Joe's dried granny smiths]
1/2 cup chopped walnut halves

Preheat oven to 350 - line 8x8 square pan with nonstick foil.
Combine flour baking powder salt and spices in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl whisk egg replacer and water. Add sugar and mix until combined. Whisk in oil, then add cooked oatmeal and mix. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until combined and then fold in dried apples and nuts.
Spread batter into pan and bake for 40 minutes (toothpick test was at 40 exactly). Cool in pan on a rack before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails