Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Life change

I am on my 5th day of being vegan.
I had been thinking about it for a while, had stopped eating meat and eggs and drinking milk/cream for a while but couldn't give up on fish and cheese. Then I came across some information that penicillin is often used with animals. I don't know if this makes any sense at all, but it was huge for me. I have had hives all over my body for about 5 years now, and no doctor was ever able to figure out where they came from. I was just diagnosed with "chronic hives" and told to take Zyrtec every day. Then that stopped working, so they made me take it twice a day (double the recommended amount on the package!) which I wasn't really comfortable with, but would rather do that than have hives. Anyways I realized that the pattern of hives I get without medicine is the same pattern as when I react to penicillin. I wanted to do an experiment to see if it was possibly related to what I was eating.
So far, it has worked. I have gone down to just one pill a day (at night because they make me drowsy - yes, I've been drowsy 24/7 for 5 years!!!) and I haven't had a single hive. Not one. This is so huge!
It looks like I may have found the fix? Don't want to jinx it.
So from here on out I will be posting only vegan recipes, some that I have found and others that I have invented myself. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck with your new food adventures Wendy! I hope you feel great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took the plunge! That's so exciting! I've thought about veganism in the past and definitely can agree with some reasons to go that way. Especially considering the penicillin issue.

    Best of luck! I'll have to try the pumpkin muffins soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails